md2 support?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 16 17:13:46 CET 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:09:31 +0000, Martijn Koster said:

> Werner Koch explained md2 support was removed because rfc1319 lists it
> as licensed for PEM only, and because the algorithm is ancient and
> useless.

I still believe in that.

> I recalled hearing that RSA had later extended that license to "any
> purpose", and after some searching I found this documented at
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all. Does this address Werner's
> licensing concerns?

Okay, that is fine.

> I would therefore ask you to please reconsider adding md2-support back.

Well, we can do that but first of all we need an implementation.
There has never been MD2 support in Libgcrypt.  An implementation most
be done from scratch or real public domain code.  The author needs to
sign a disclaimer or assignment to the FSF.

Would you like to work on it.  In general it is pretty straightforward
to do a simple implementation from the specs.  Take rmd160.c or md5.c
as a template.