Win32 build

low halo, Defender of Truth and Liberty lowhalo at hush.com
Thu Jun 3 00:04:53 CEST 2004

Hi --

    I've created a complete build system for libgpg-error and
libgcrypt for Windows.  Instead of fighting against autoconf
quirks, I wrote custom makefiles just for Windows builds.  The
Gaim project (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) does the same thing, and
its worked well for them for over a year.

    So, here's what you need to do if you want to build a
'libgcrypt.dll':

1.) Download and install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com).  Be sure to
install the 'make', 'patchutils', and 'perl' packages as well.

2.) Download and install MinGW (http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/
MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download).

3.) Start a Cygwin bash shell, and type:

    export PATH=/cygdrive/c/MinGW/bin:$PATH

.. assuming that you installed MinGW at the 'C:\' default.  This will
set your path so that later on you will compile everything with MinGW's
tools instead of Cygwin's.  If you start another shell later, remember
to re-set this PATH.

4.) Extract libgpg-error, and copy 'win32_gpg-error_makefiles.tar.bz2'
and 'win32_gpg-error.patch' into the newly-created
'libgpg-error-0.7' directory.  'cd' into this directory, and apply the
patch with:

    patch -p1 < win32_gpg-error.patch

Then extract the 'win32_gpg-error_makefiles.tar.bz2' file here too.

5.) Start building libgpg-error with:

    make -f Makefile.mingw

6.) Extract libgcrypt, and copy 'win32_gcrypt.patch' and
'win32_gcrypt_makefiles.tar.bz2' into the newly-created
'libgcrypt-1.2.0' directory.  'cd' into this directory, and apply the
patch with:

    patch -p1 < win32_gcrypt.patch

Then extract the 'win32_gcrypt_makefiles.tar.bz2' file here too.

7.) Start building libgcrypt with:

    make -f Makefile.mingw

.. and that's all there is to it!  You should end up with a
'libgcrypt.dll' file if you followed these instructions correctly.
There will also be EXEs in the tests/ subdirectory for you to play with.

    Over the next few days, I plan on improving the Win32 entropy
gatherer (rndw32.c) also.  Sit tight.

    - low halo

P.S.  To the libgcrypt/libgpg-error maintainers:  could you have a look
at my patches and consider them for inclusion into CVS?  Thanks!

- --
low halo <lowhalo at-s1gn hacktivismo d0t c0m>
Defender of Truth and Liberty
http://ultramagnetic.sourceforge.net/
http://www.hacktivismo.com/

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3AFB17F6
9AB1 FF04 016F 89A3 5B4E  A585 BDBB 5FBE 3AFB 17F6