libgcrypt 1.1.93 released

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 9 16:36:59 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:53:48 -0500, Christian Grothoff said:

> I just wanted to throw in another reason why I like Nikos suggestion to add a
> handle for the PRNG.  I would like to be able to pass my own PRNG to the
> (RSA) key generation.  Now, I don't know if that's currently possible (didn't

I guess what you really want is a faster key generation and not a
different RNG ;-).  This might be useful for throw-away keys and a new
RNG does not help as there are other things you need to speed up
(first of all the prime generation)  For now taking the code from
libgcrypt and tweaking it for this very special purpose seems to be
the best solution - once we got some experience with it, we can add a
new API for that to Libgcrypt.

> have the time to look into this so far), but _if_ the PRNG is the only thing
> that keeps gcrypt from being thread-safe, the ability to easily replace the

No it is no.

BTW, any idea how we can track why the performance on sparc64 is that
bad?  I have the hunch that this is due to a bad alignment and
emulation in the kernel.