libgcrypt 1.1.93 released

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Mar 9 19:46:30 CET 2004

At Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:23:12 +0200,
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:
> The current approach (1.1.93) makes all of the multithreaded applications
> using gnutls crash, that's why i'm most concerned about this.

Maybe some additional data will help with the decision here.

On my system, I have 86 binaries using gnutls (directly or indirectly).
Of these, 81 already link to pthread.

Only five do not link to pthread.  These are cupsdoprint, dirmngr,
lynx, mailq, and newaliases.

This is like I expected it.  Many programs these days require pthread
anyway.

If this is similar to the whole picture, I don't see much difficulties
in making gnutls require pthread by default, and optionally build a
non-threaded version for those who really want it (gnutls-nothread).

The programs that were compiled with gnutls would probably have to be
recompiled though (if you don't have to change the ABI anyway).

We know that this is not the ideal solution.  As I said in one of my
last mails, the perfect solution doesn't seem to exist.

Thanks,
Marcus