libgcrypt 1.1.93 released

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 9 20:58:09 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:23:12 +0200, Nikos Mavroyanopoulos said:

> Those are unimportant enough to deserve such fuss. Initialization code,
> and module registration happen only once and at the beginning of the
> process so one shouldn't worry about reentrancy. As far as I remember

No.  You can make this sure but 2 libraries higher this might not be
true anymore.  And there is also the issue of applications like
interpreters, loading modules at will.

> So that would be one proccess per application. That's quite fair.

One process per thread.

> The current approach (1.1.93) makes all of the multithreaded applications
> using gnutls crash, that's why i'm most concerned about this.

A more severe problem is that applications may link to multiple
versions of Libgcrypt (or gnutls) and thus yield unexpected behaviour.

> uses the internal rng in several places. I believe that the previous
> behaviour should be kept (since it works), unless a better one is found.

But resulting in hard to track bugs.  Hmmm, we might  add the
old way as a fourth variant of libgcrypt (--thread=auto)

  Werner