concerning libgpg-error

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu May 13 13:13:39 CEST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 13:12, Werner Koch wrote:

> > a disable option to disable completely error printing (and thus the
> > dependency to libgpg-error) would also help.
> Disabling error printing is a Bad Thing.  You will get weird bug
Well error printing the way libgpg-error does, is only usefull to applications
such as gnupg. For gnutls which is a low level wrapper library over libgcrypt
it is just unused code.

> reports taking a long time to duplcate them and finally it is a simple
> thing which could have been figured out by the error message directly.
> What is the real problem you have with libgpg-error?  Does it not
> build cleanly on all systems?  I'd like to hear about such things
> ASAP.
I don't have anything with libgpg-error. I just want an option to disable it
if I don't need it at all since it makes it harder to compile libgcrypt and
adds unused code.

Your concerns when adding an option to disable it are for end user
distributions which will of course include it, since they want error
reporting. On the other hand embedded servers that only use gnutls
over libgcrypt don't need it at all.

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos