concerning libgpg-error

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 13 13:56:56 CEST 2004

At Thu, 13 May 2004 11:33:11 +0300,
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2004 10:36, Werner Koch wrote:
> That's why a warning should be issued. This is due to an administrative
> decision so such behaviour is acceptable (they should install libgpg-error
> to avoid that). In any case my proposal was for systems that do not need
> internationalization such as constrained systems etc.

You can disable i18n when compiling libgpg-error (--disable-nls).

> Also porting
> is much more work with interlibrary dependencies and this change would
> help a lot.

That's hardly true.

> > Adding libgpg-error as an independent part to libgcrypt would be
> > possibe but be a headache for maintenance.
> Not a fully working gpg-error is expected to be included. Just the
> minimum part of it that is required for it to work. Only the .h file should
> be updated if new error values are used in libgcrypt. If this is not possible
> a disable option to disable completely error printing (and thus the
> dependency to libgpg-error) would also help.

We don't optimize the software for the rare cases.  If you have a
genuine need to keep things small, you can compile libgpg-error with
disable-nls, and link statically to it.  If you don't use
gcry_strerror, it should not link in the error strings.

Thanks,
Marcus