RSA Key Gen: Fast in Test App, Slow in Real App.

jitspoe spizamme at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 21:56:39 CEST 2006

Werner Koch wrote:

> That is because the entropy pool of the RNG has been filled and the
> second key utilizes the left over entropy.  Make sure to properly
> setup the RNG.
>
> BTW, a 128 bit RSA key is pretty useless except for learning how to
> break it.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

Thanks for the reply.  I'm aware that 128bit RSA isn't very powerful, but in
the way I was planning to use it, it didn't need to be.  I'm just sending a
single random string  for verification purposes.  I actually realized that
RSA wasn't even necessary and just went with some simple hashing instead,
but I'm still curious about the key generation time.

Is there any documentation on how to set up the RNG?  What do I need to
call?  gcry_fast_random_poll()?  I couldn't find anything else that looked
like an initialization function.