[patch] bus error in gcry_free

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 2 09:55:19 CET 2007

On Thu,  1 Feb 2007 20:39, christianbiere at gmx.de said:

> Because passing any other pointer yields either true or has undefined behaviour.

You mean using pointers with relational operators.  C-99 says:

       6.5.8  Relational operators

       [#5] When two pointers are compared, the result  depends  on
       the  relative  locations in the address space of the objects
       pointed to.  If two pointers to object or  incomplete  types
       both  point  to  the same object, or both point one past the
       last element of the same array object, they  compare  equal.
       If  the objects pointed to are members of the same aggregate
       object, pointers to structure members declared later compare
       greater  than  pointers  to  members declared earlier in the
       structure,  and  pointers  to  array  elements  with  larger
       subscript  values  compare greater than pointers to elements
       of the same array with lower subscript values.  All pointers
       to  members  of the same union object compare equal.  If the
   =>  expression P points to an element of an array object and the
   =>  expression  Q  points  to the last element of the same array
   =>  object, the pointer expression Q+1 compares greater than  P.
       In all other cases, the behavior is undefined.

Well, strictly interpreting you may be right.  However, this is
irrelevant given that we assume a linear address space.  I also doubt
that C-89 has the same requirements and that is what we code for.

Anyway, such an interpretation of the specs is similar to the rule
that you can't clear a structure with pointer elements by using
memset.  Almost everyone is ignoring that and I don't want to get
back to the time of segmented memory architectures.

Shalom-Salam,