forking new process when calling gnutls_global_init() function

Haidar Habib h.habib at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:58:48 CET 2008

Hi Werner,

The problem what I am facing is that when I am running my application
with TLS enabled another process is created with the same executable
name as my application.
I am concerned of this new process as I have not forked any child
process in my application.
After debugging the problem I found out that after I called
gnutls_global_init() function at the time of initialization of TLS a
new process is forked printing following trace in console.

[New process 28026]
 warning: reading `r3' register: No data
 Detaching after fork from process 28026

As gnutls_global_init() function internally calls many gcrypt
functions which may fork a new process, I raised this issue.

One more think the same code is running fine in LINUX OS without
creating any new process.

Hope this clarifies the problem.

Haidar

--