forking new process when calling gnutls_global_init() function

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Feb 21 14:25:18 CET 2008

"Haidar Habib" <h.habib at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Werner,
>
> I have done some debugging on the child process. Following is the
> output of bactrace(bt) of functions call by it.
> Pls look into this if this helps.
>

> #0  0xc0201020 in _write_sys+0x10 () from /usr/lib/libc.2
> #1  0xc020d13c in write+0xc4 () from /usr/lib/libc.2
> #2  0xc6478130 in start_gatherer+0x320 () from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #3  0xc64784f4 in _gcry_rndunix_gather_random+0x148 ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #4  0xc642e128 in read_random_source+0xe0 ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #5  0xc642dc04 in random_poll+0x58 () from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #6  0xc642d6bc in read_pool+0x308 () from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #7  0xc642c6cc in gcry_randomize+0x1b0 () from /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.sl.13
> #8  0xc5b46fa0 in gc_pseudo_random+0x38 ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libgnutls-extra.sl.13
> #9  0xc6357c84 in gnutls_global_init+0x42c ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libgnutls.sl.13

This looks consistent with what Werner described how it is intended to
work.

> Actually my concern is why the child process is visible in HPUX os and
> not in LINUX. Is this because in HPUX there is no /dev/random device
> defined or due to any other reason.

Yes, that's the reason.  On linux, cipher/rndlinux.c is used, which is
very different from cipher/rndunix.c which is used under HPUX.

> For us it is not a good option to have a child process wtih our actual process.
> So can you pls provide some fix so that no child process is present there .

EGD was suggested, and if it didn't work, the only other option is to
modify libgcrypt to do something else -- you could check with the HPUX
documentation if there isn't a entropy API somewhere.

I wouldn't consider forking a child process to be a problem though.  It
is how libgcrypt was intended to work on generic unix systems.  If you
could describe in more detail why you think that is a problem (memory
usage?), maybe that problem could be fixed.

/Simon