How experimental is --enable-random-daemon?

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Mon Mar 10 19:24:52 CET 2008

Hello,

since using a random seed file for exim does not work reliably with
the (perhaps broken) patch
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c20080308084818.GC3091%5f%5f12928.1525886201%241204966999%24gmane%24org%40downhill.g.la%3e>
I am considering the other easy way, using --enable-random-daemon.

However I am unsure on whether --enable-random-daemon will eat small
children or whether it simply is not built by default but should work
alright. Would you outright recommed against using it in production
environments?

Other stuff I have been wondering about:

- A pid file would be nice.
- Why isn't the daemon used by default if specified at compile time?
  Needing to patch every gcrypt using application (or at least
  libgnutls) to get best benefits seems to be suboptimal.
  gcry_control (GCRYCTL_USE_RANDOM_DAEMON, 1)

thanks, cu andreas
so grateful to you.'