Use of libgcrypt in libc?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Jun 16 10:47:12 CEST 2009

Hi!  I have noticed this work in libc to use NSS for crypto:

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;h=ff886b82a2b65758950bdb4687cf5a1238f697a1

I wanted to look into providing a patch to use libgcrypt.  The patch is
relatively straight forward to produce, but I have run into a problem
with libgcrypt initialization.

I have read

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gcrypt/Initializing-the-library.html

and it suggests to recommend solution is that applications initialize
libgcrypt, which I don't see how it would work in glibc.

If libc initialize libgcrypt without secure memory, it seems that
potentially applications may end up with libgcrypt in that mode too,
which appears sub-optimal.

Is it possible to use libgcrypt safely in libc?  How?

/Simon