Blackfin and version scripts

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 23 08:18:25 CEST 2010

Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> writes:

> alternative might be to do something like -export-symbols where libtool
> has its own method for managing lists of symbols, but extend it to
> handle versioning information as available with GNU/Solaris linkers.
> then that would take care of outputting the version script with the
> symbol prefix which libtool already knows.

That might be a cleaner way of implementing the 80% solution.  For most
packages, I suspect that all you need to do is add the default symbol
version string to the existing -export-symbols list as input parameters
and then have libtool generate a symbol versioning file giving all symbols
that version and listing everything in -export-symbols as global, with a

There are nice things that you can do with a more sophisticated approach
to versioning the symbols, but most use of symbol versioning is to avoid
conflicts when multiple versions of a shared library are loaded at the
same time, not to do more sophisticated things like provide multiple
versions of a function bound to different symbol versions.