runtime problem with static libgpg-error 1.9 on MinGW

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Wed Sep 1 22:55:36 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have been working on updating from libgpg-error-1.8  to
libgpg-error-1.9 in mingw-cross-env. Mingw-cross-env is a cross building
environment for MinGW. One of its features is that it builds static
versions of all its libraries.

With 1.9 I have a runtime problem with applications linked to static
libgpg-error-1.9.  Compiling and linking go fine, but at runtime in
Windows, the program immediately crashes. Under Wine, the program
immediately gets stuck, producing this message:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x473374 "?" wait timed out
in thread 0009, blocked by 0000, retrying (60 sec). I'm pretty sure this
happens before main().

The problem can be reproduced with tests/basic.c from libgcrypt-1.4.6.

As far as I can tell, it does not make it to main(), suggesting an init
problem. This thread might be related:
http://marc.info/?l=gcrypt-devel&m=127679204515086&w=2

I would be grateful for some insights into this problem or hints about
how to do further troubleshooting.

(Apologies for cross-posting. I originally asked about this on
gnupg-users, but it looks like it belongs on this forum.)

regards,

Mark