hardware crypto (padlock, aesni) support for 64bit cpus

Stefan Krüger stadtkind2 at gmx.de
Thu Nov 8 19:44:10 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm using libgcrypt on a 64bit Padlock CPU and noticed hw crypto support does
not kick in.

After some digging I found that src/hwfeatures.c only works when __i386__ is
defined (and SIZEOF_UNSIGNED_LONG is 4, which happens to be 8 on __amd64),
which is not the case with 64bit AES-NI CPUs from Intel (and nowadays even
AMD) and newer chips from Via.

Sad thing is, I'm not a programmer but I could test a patch on a 64bit Via
Nano CPU (and maybe even 64bit AMD CPUs with AES support) if someone else
feels free to do it.

Regards,

Stefan