benchmarks

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Dec 9 18:57:46 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 18:04 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some benchmark charts for Libgcrypt.  See
>   ftp://ftp.g10code.com/g10code/scratch/gcrypt-bench-x220-2300.gnumeric
> or just the charts:
>   ftp://ftp.g10code.com/g10code/scratch/gcrypt-bench-x220-2300.pdf
> this nicely shows Jussi's improvements.  The values for Nettle have been
> taken from the nettle-benchmark example program.  I did not add data for
> OpenSSL because it is a bit of work to extract the numbers from "openssl
> speed".  It would be nice to have wrapper for openssl so that
> bench-slope can be used to create compatible numbers.

Could libgcrypt and nettle share the low level algorithms so
improvements on one project will be shared with the other? As it is now
I think there is quite some duplicate effort being spent in making the
two libraries faster and there is no much reason they couldn't be
combined.

In the end I feel disappointed to see that because of that, even the
gnulib people will use openssl's libcrypto because it is faster:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2013-12/msg00058.html

regards,
Nikos