benchmarks

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Tue Dec 10 08:58:33 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

>> Could libgcrypt and nettle share the low level algorithms so
>> improvements on one project will be shared with the other? As it is now
> Fell free to take whatever you need from Libgcrypt.

Of course that is possible, it always was. However, copying isn't easy
when different low-level interfaces are involved, and pretty much that
just prolongs the current situation.

> They both you the
> same license me thinks.

Only for the cipher/hash/mac part which was the part I suggested to be
shared. Nettle's PK interface is effectively LGPLv3 due to reliance on
GMP. So that part would be more hard to benefit from a sharing.

>> I think there is quite some duplicate effort being spent in making the
>> two libraries faster and there is no much reason they couldn't be
>> combined.
> That is what free software is about, right?

Well, I really want to think that it is also about collaboration.
While I understand that everyone has a different agenda on the things
that need to be done, schedules etc., a compromise that will benefit
everyone may be possible.

regards,
Nikos