sha1 hash using libgcrypt different from what returns sha1sum

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Dec 14 00:54:58 CET 2013

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 21:51, jussi.kivilinna at iki.fi said:

> That's right, size_t for lengths is not enough on 32-bit. Could we use uint64_t
> instead of size_t?

uint64_t is not really portable because C99 is not deployed everywhere.
However, this is a minor issue because we could enable CCM only if we
have that type.  We do the same for some algorithm (TIGER comes to
mind).

We could document a certain limit on CCM or we look for a more general
solution.  In Windows this has traditionally be solved using unions and
structs.  It's not nice API, though.

off_t would be a natural choice but it has problems as well.  For
example the two defined ABI variants and I have not checked whether it
is suitable for a size_t replacement (I guess not).

What do we we need to change in the API to correctly support it.  What
side-effects will be have if we use uint64_t and provide the interfaces
only if uint64 is defined?

Shalom-Salam,