Fwd: Goldbug.sf.net - Secure Multi-Crypto-Messenger v0.1 released

Randolph D. rdohm321 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 04:45:53 CEST 2013

Does anyone know, if this tool is really secure?

Fwd:

   DOWNLOAD & PRESS RELEASE 2013-07-27 - English / Deutsch weiter unten

  _____       _     _ ____
 / ____|     | |   | |  _ \
| |  __  ___ | | __| | |_) |_   _  __ _
| | |_ |/ _ \| |/ _` |  _ <| | | |/ _` |
| |__| | (_) | | (_| | |_) | |_| | (_| |  GoldBug.sf.net
 \_____|\___/|_|\__,_|____/ \__,_|\__, |
                                   __/ |
                                  |___/

TITLE:
GoldBug.sf.net: Secure Instant Messenger V0.1 has been released -
with p2p Email and decentral IRC public chat

DOWNLOAD:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/goldbug/files/?source=navbar

SHORTY:
While today thousands of members of the Stop-Watching-Us initiative against
surveillance programs like PRISM demonstrated in several cities all around
the globe, the EFF in conjunction with the Chaos Computer Club announced a
new secure Instant Messenger called: GoldBug.sf.net (http://goldbug.sf.net)
Next to chat as well a serverless Email-System and public IRC-Chat has been
introduced with Multi-Encryption: a kind of PGP secured with AES over SSL.
The new protocol driving this is called "Echo" and has many potentials to
be deployed as well for further secure and anonymous communication
applications.
Some net communities already call it the Neuland Messenger due to the Font
Name of the Logo.

StopWatching.Us [3] is the initiative half a million web users have signed
due to the mass-surveillance programs like PRISM in USA; TEMPORA in Great
Britain, MICS in France and XKEYSCORE Software as well deployed e.g. in
Germany. While the governments are powerless in regard to prevent foreign
agencies to grab internet-line data and to protect their citizens' privacy,
the end-users themself are forced to encrypt their communication and stand
up for their Human Rights.Thousands of facebook [4] and twitter [5] members
declared to demonstrate on the streets on (last) Saturday, July 27, in many
decentral cities.

As well at this date, the first release of the Secure Instant Messenger
GoldBug (http://goldbug.sf.net)  has been announced. It uses
multi-encryption (a kind of PGP secured with AES over SSL) based on the new
echo protocol. While Mega´s "Spy-proof Email" [6] and Pirate Bay Founder´s
"Hemlis Mobile Chat" [7] still play around at crypto-parties to find the
right development, the open-source project "GoldBug" has chosen the
crypto-library "Lib-Spot-On v. 0.1" (based on libGcrypt).

The project brought out not only a secure, beautiful and easy to use
messenger, but also a new peer protocol behind it: The Echo Protocol.  The
so called "Echo" creates a peer-2-peer (p2p), respective friend-2-friend
(f2f) network, which sends every (strong encrypted) data packet to everyone
connected in that network to your node. When you can decrypt the packet, it
is yours and readable, if not, you share it with all your connected
neighbors. So far so simple.

Thinking other Protocols like Jabber, IRC, Torrent etc. based on the Echo
opens up a new perspective, as this new kind of Distant-Chat currently
shown in the GoldBug Chat Reference Model introduces a detachment with IP
addresses and Private/Public Encryption Keys. The Echo Modus can be half or
full: half means, to create a dedicated line to your neighbor, and the Echo
stops there: Messages are not shared in the half modus. This creates a
Web-of-Trust (friend-to-friend)-network within a p2p network (and not vice
versa), which is not detectable - as the user defines at each node how to
utilize the Echo. This creates a new view on trust and enables a plausible
deniability of having ever utilized a Web of Trust (WoT). An important
point in times of 100%-surveillance and data retention tracking over
several, but stable line-hops.

While for example RetroShare [8] as anonymous, decentral network is a good
practice model for a Web of Trust, in a Web of Trust with added echo the
user can disconnect from the neighbour while keeping the trust and
communication - based on the encryption-key (so called "REPLEO") e.g. shown
in the GoldBug Messenger Application. Next to chat as well a serverless
Email-System and public IRC-Chat has been inlcuded with the GoldBug-release
based on the echo protocol and deployed by the Library Libspoton.

How the communities of other apps and protocols will evaluate, discuss and
test and maybe adopt the security features of the echo protocol, will be
shown by some next hybrid applications - and who knows, maybe the
Hemlis-Mobile application or the new secure email systems like BitMail [9]
or StartMail [10]  announced by IXQUICK will integrate the echo as well.

WHY THE NAME:
GoldBug was the title of a short story of Edgar Allan Poe about cryptograms
in 1843. In the short story Mr. LeGrand, who was recently bitten by a
gold-colored bug, starts an adventure with two other friends after
deciphering a secret message. Poe took advantage of the popularity of
cryptography and the success of the story centers on one such cryptogram.
"The Gold-Bug" was an instant success and was the most popular and most
widely read of Poe's works during his lifetime. It also helped to
popularize cryptograms and secured writing. Even 150 Years later a still
vaid approach due to the current events in this time.

FEATURES:

# Instant Messenger Function: Direct Chat, Group Chat, Public Chat.

# the integrated Email Client enables encrypted communication without the
usage of a central server. You

can even email to offline-friends: other friends from you chace the message
for you until your friends

come online again.

# IPV6 Support: As IPV6 integrates the IP-Adress of the senders into each
Datapacket, you can drop this

with the Gemini-Feature of a detached communication.

# The so called Repleo-Feature based on the Echo-Protocols enables the
detachment of logged data

retention, that means Data Retention has a solution: a TTL+1 function in an
elastic network environment.

# Optional you can use furthermore the "GoldBug"-Feature, a kind of
password, a hybride-multi-encryption,

which integrates a kind of pgp with AES end to end encryption, which offers
new standards in regard to

Instant Messaging and the Agenda Setting of crypto parties.

# Hybrid, optional P2P and F2F Modi.

# Proxy Modus: Can run over Tor, 127.0.0.1. : 9150

The GoldBug logo uses the Neuland font: "Neuland is a German typeface that
was designed in 1923 by Rudolf Koch. It is often used today when an
“exotic” or “primitive” look is desired, such as the logos for the Jurassic
Park films", says Wikipedia. That has to be regarded just as a coincidence,
no one in the net community would ever have the view to call it the Neuland
Messenger or subscribe it to a person, e.g. like Rudolf Koch.

WEBSITE:
http://goldbug.sourceforge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/goldbug/?source=navbar

DOWNLOAD:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/goldbug/files/?source=navbar

SOURCE:
http://spot-on.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/spot-on/?view=tar
(as well included in the GB windows installer for your convenience)
DEVELOPER-SVN:
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/spot-on/code/ spot-on-code
PROTOCOL-SIMULATION:
http://goldbug.sourceforge.net/img/bitmail.gif
Add this gadget to your bog or website - it describes, how the echo
protocol works.