Using --enable-special-filenames on Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Nov 26 20:47:03 CET 2013

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:50, patrick at enigmail.net said:
> I'm trying to figure out how to use --enable-special-filenames on
> Windows. While the use of e.g. "-&9" is straight forward on Unix, I
> wonder how I have to implement a Windows application to use the same

GPGME is your friend ;-).

You need to create a pipe with an inheritable file handle and pass that
to gpg.  The problem is that you need to use CreateProcess without the
inherit flag (otherwise all handles would be inherited).  The solution
used by GPGME (and later done in the same way by GTK+) is to spawn a
temporary process, duplicate the handles into that process along with a
dup-to translation table and have that helper process then spawn gpg -
now with the inherit flag set.  It was quite some work to get that beast
working reliable.

Mozilla might have a similar mechanism somewhere.

Shalom-Salam,