Using --enable-special-filenames on Windows

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Wed Nov 27 12:56:57 CET 2013

On 27.11.13 11:04, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:25, patrick at enigmail.net said:
>>
>> Not really when integrating with Thunderbird...
>
> Where is the problem?  Should we try to get into into Moziall proper?
> Is the LGPL a problem?

The main "problem" is that I don't want any binary components in
Enigmail anymore.

I worked for the last two years on replacing all binary components with
JavaScript, and where this wasn't possible, I either moved C++ code to
Thunderbird (very little), or I'm using the JavaScript-to-C bridge to
use libc / Windows-core APIs. I reached this goal almost entirely - the
only remaining binary component is a tiny wrapper library to do the
fork()-ing on Unix (to avoid issues with garbage collection in
JavaScript), and no binary code on Windows at all.

Integrating gpgme in the Mozilla product could be a solution, but I'm
not sure if this would be accepted by Mozilla. And it would need to be
part of standard Thunderbird builds (which I think is quite unlikely).

But I'll certainly look into gpgme to see how it's done there.

-Patrick