(flags eddsa) and (flags gost)

Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov dbaryshkov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 08:08:04 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM, NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe at fsij.org> wrote:
> Currently, we use (flags eddsa) or (flags gost) with (data ...) to be
> signed or to be encrypted/decrypted.
>
> However, I think that it is the curve parameter.  I mean, for a
> particular curve, if it's for EdDSA, data always needs to have (flags
> eddsa).

Regarding (flags gost). GOST R 34.10-2001/-2012 use Weierstrassian
curves. Nothing stops us from calculating ECDSA on GOST curves
or GOST signatures e.g. on NIST curves. Thus (and because of eddsa
flag) using (flags gost) with (data ...) seemed logical.

However if (flags eddsa) is moved to the curve specification,
I see no problem with moving (flags gost) to the curve to unify the design.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry