Libgcrypt threads model

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 13 11:17:10 CET 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:58, dbaryshkov at gmail.com said:

>> Despite all definitions in ath.c gcrypt does not really support
>> either W32 threads or pthreads on systems which do not
>> support weak symbols (are there any of them?). Is it true?
>> Is it intentional?

That is quite possible.  I did this code a long time ago and planned to
improve it for non-ELF platforms.  However, I never came that.

>> How would ath mutexes behave if libgcrypt is linked into
>> an application with static pthreads? With pth or npth?
>> With w32?

Pth shall not be supported anymore.
nPth: We have to check.
w32: it should just work or you have found a bug.

>> Is it correct that GCRYCTL_SET_THREAD_CBS gcry_control
>> is also deprecated and should not be used in contemporary code?

Right.  All platforms hav settled for a standard threads implementation
and that is what we will use.  The callbacks are soo ugly.

Salam-Shalom,