building libgcrypt with --host x86_64-w64-mingw32

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Feb 17 23:48:42 CET 2016

Hi Werner--

On Wed 2016-02-17 14:06:17 -0500, Werner Koch wrote:

> sorry I mixed this up.  I read you mail reporting that there is a build
> problem for a 32 bit Libgcrypt DLL and that the mentioned 64 bit problem
> was just a question. :-(
>
> And of course, I can replicate your problem building a 64 bit DLL.  To
> fix the problem I backported two patches.

ah, thanks.

> WARNING: Do not use that 64 bit Libgcrypt DLL - I have doubts that the
> RNG gets sufficient entropy.

this is troubling -- can you explain more about why you think the 64-bit
version might get worse entropy inputs than the 32-bit version?

> I see no good reason to distribute 64 bit Windows binaries of GnuPG.
> For certain DLL it is required, for example when used by plugins for 64
> bit Windows binaries.

right, but in that case developers probably do need a reliable 64-bit
Windows DLL.  If we can sort out the RNG business, that would be good.
Should i open a ticket at https://bugs.gnupg.org/ to record the concern?

       --dkg