Patch: Stop using /dev/random

Stephan Mueller smueller at chronox.de
Wed Nov 16 19:31:50 CET 2016

Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016, 13:16:54 CET schrieb Scott Arciszewski:

Hi Scott,

> Of course, none of this would have ever been necessary if GNU/Linux's
> implementations of /dev/random and /dev/urandom only blocked until
> seeded, and then never again, in the first place.

This will not be implemented. During the course of my re-implementation of /
dev/random I played with exactly that idea. This will break user space big
time, because systemd will be blocked from initializing before /dev/urandom is
fully seeded. The block happens before any device is set up or a driver loaded
because these days systemd is used in the initramfs too.

Thus, either you always sit on the console and hack on the keyboard until /
dev/urandom unblocks and systemd continues or you will wait for (almost) an
eternity to have the system booted.

Ciao
Stephan