LGPL vs. OCB license

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Fri Dec 15 15:03:23 CET 2017

Hi all,

maybe you can help clarifying the impact of the OCB license(s) on the
effective license of libgcrypt.

The OCB license 1 says under the definition of "Open Source Software
Implementation":

"Open Source Software Implementation does not include any Software
Implementation in which the software implicating the Licensed Patents is
combined, so as to form a larger program, with software that is not Open
Source Software."

My concern is now that this restriction excludes runtime linking as the
LGPL would otherwise allow. And because cipher-ocb.c is an unconditional
part of libgcrypt (unless you do local package surgery...), I would
interpret this as the library becoming effectively GPL this way. Am I wrong?

This issue has also been brought forward to Debian earlier this year
[1], but the package maintainer did not address the linking situation so
far.

Thanks,
Jan

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=879984

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE