[SUGGESTION NEEDED] A request for suggestion on furthering the discussion over ElGamal

Weikeng Chen w.k at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 17 05:58:47 CEST 2017

And thank everybody who spends time reading these two long emails.

Also a question for confirmation. Upper applications in GNUPG only use
ElGamal for hybrid encryptions? Then it would be totally fine at this
moment.

The reason I came here is the PyCrypto.
https://github.com/Legrandin/pycryptodome/issues/90

The author seems to misunderstand the code (which passed from the
previous PyCrypto). Part of the reason is that they use libgcrypt to
SELF-TEST the implementation of ElGamal... That is why I came here --
gcrypt is the mother of many things, and this is the crucial first
step.
https://github.com/Legrandin/pycryptodome/blob/master/lib/Crypto/SelfTest/PublicKey/test_ElGamal.py

Almost all ElGamal implementations in Github have a gap with the
cryptography's perspective. (But yes, they are consistent with the
original paper of El Gamal...)

If El Gamal is as famous as RSA, I think we will consider Encoding, as
we do in RSA -- the original paper version of RSA is also not semantic
secure.

--

Weikeng Chen @ 795 Soda Hall