Extremely Slow Ed25519 Key Generation (Entropy Source?)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 28 14:26:26 CEST 2017

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 07:42, r030t1 at gmail.com said:

> It does seem that key generation slows appreciably after exhausting
> the entropy pool. Is there a way to set the entropy source for
> internal libgcrypt operations?

Put this into /etc/gcrypt/random.conf

# Options for the random generator

# If you don't want the Jitter based thing you may disable it,
#disable-jent

# Only use /dev/urandom
only-urandom

That is in general okay because on modern kernels we anyway use the
getrandom call and thus we are eben safe at boot time.

Salam-Shalom,