Bug in internal function is_prime() from cipher/primegen.c

Heiko Stamer HeikoStamer at gmx.net
Sun Apr 29 09:50:11 CEST 2018

Hi Werner,

first, thank you for the quick response.

Am 28.04.2018 um 18:37 schrieb Werner Koch:

>> If the checked mpi is a small number (say 65537), then it is more likely
>> that this happens. I am not sure whether this bug has any serious
>> security implications (e.g. DoS attacks), however, it should be fixed
>
> I don't think that this is a security problem.  In fact an assert is
> there to prevent this ;-).

When I was writing this I thought of a client-server protocol, where the
server checks the input of the client using gcry_prime_check(). Then a
malicious client could force the server to abort irregularly.

> What do you think of the attached fix?

I think it should work. However, I was not able to test this yet.

Bests,
Heiko.