Backporting Stribog fix to 1.8.x

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon May 27 08:51:11 CEST 2019

On Sat, 25 May 2019 15:57, jussi.kivilinna at iki.fi said:

> Yes, it would be ok to backport the fix. I'm a bit concerned about
> potential breakage for users but that is going to happen with 1.9
> anyway and if needed we can add bug-emu flag for Stribog to support
> the broken algorithm variant.

Well, we already did this for Whirlpool and it even states that this
very flag may be reused for other algorithms:

  @item GCRY_MD_FLAG_BUGEMU1
  @cindex bug emulation
  Versions of Libgcrypt before 1.6.0 had a bug in the Whirlpool code
  which led to a wrong result for certain input sizes and write
  [...]
  Note that this flag works for the entire hash context.  If needed
  arises it may be used to enable bug emulation for other hash
  algorithms.  Thus you should not use this flag for a multi-algorithm
  hash context.

I would propose to do this now for Stribog.

Shalom-Salam,