Implementation of PQC Algorithms in libgcrypt

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon May 15 16:20:17 CEST 2023

Hi

I noticed this thread just after submitting sntrup761 [1] patches.

My opinion is that libgcrypt's public-key API is a bad fit for KEM's: it
uses S-expressions and MPI data types.  I believe the crypto world
rightly has moved away from those abstraction, towards byte-oriented
designs instead, for simplicity and safety.  Compare gcry_ecc_mul_point
for X25519 and gcry_kdf_derive for KDF's.  Could you implement Kyber as
a KEM using the API that I suggested?  I think that would be
significantly simpler, and would help validate the KEM API as supporting
more than one KEM.  I would strongly support having a KEM API that is
not using sexp/mpi, but I wouldn't object to a sexp/mpi API in addition
to it, for different use-cases.

/Simon

[1] https://gitlab.com/jas/libgcrypt/-/commits/jas/sntrup761