Setting the Gnuk serial

Marian Buschsieweke marian.buschsieweke at ovgu.de
Fri Apr 13 09:34:59 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have not set the serial before, but I did deploy my keys and personal
information before I tried to set the serial. I want to deploy a second Gnuk
device at work in a secure location in case a forget to bring my primary one.
Because both devices have different serials, I have to replace the key
references in GnuPG when I use the secondary device. It's not much work, but it
would be cool that I could use either of the devices out of the box.

I believe it is not possible to tell GnuPG that the same key material is
deployed on to different devices, so using the same serial seemed like a work
around for me.

Kind regards,
Marian

PS: I also checked to change the serial for a third device which I have not used
so far. Unless setting the serial is only allowed on the very first boot of the
device right after flashing the firmware, I have exactly the same issue there.