Gnuk with GCC >= 5

Bertrand Jacquin bertrand at jacquin.bzh
Thu Aug 30 02:56:57 CEST 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 02:40:30PM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Bertrand Jacquin <bertrand at jacquin.bzh> wrote:
> > If gcc is built using --enable-default-pie, generated binary will
> > contain dynamic relocations which is irrelevant for firmware build
>
> Sorry, I think that this is a problem of building arm-none-eabi-gcc, not
> a problem of Chopstx or Gnuk.  I don't know any good reason for building
> GCC with --enable-default-pie for free standing target.  GCC could even
> reject that option, imnsho.
>
> Chopstx is used by GNU/Linux emulation, which may use PIE correctly.

Would it make to enforce the use of no-pie if the target is not
GNU/Linux emulation as it's done for other options in the configure
file since all target but GNU/Linux are bare metal. This issue may
affect other distributions or users building their own toolchain. When
experienced, it really feels like the smartcard was bricked and since
it's not a problem that easy to troubleshoot, it potentially lead to
some extra complaints from gnuk users.

--
Bertrand