Gnuk version 1.2.8 considered stable for production use?

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Tue Mar 6 07:31:00 CET 2018

Alexander Paetzelt | Nitrokey <alex at nitrokey.com> wrote:
> would you recommend to make use of the newest version of Gnuk (1.2.8) in
> production (after some testing of course).

I sold FST-01G with Gnuk 1.2.8 at FOSDEM.  So, it is relatively better
release, I suppose.

After the release, I found a bug of KDF DO object access.  It's better
to be applied.

For next step, I'm currently considering about possible format change of
counters (signature counter, PIN error counter), data objects, and
private keys.  Typical use case is that only information of counters is
updated, data objects and keys are only written at personalization time.
Current code highly depends on the MCU; That is, NOR flash of 16-bit
word-size, which allows update by writing zero.