Utilizing Memory Protection Unit on STM32?

Tom Li tomli at tomli.me
Wed Feb 6 21:31:18 CET 2019

On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 08:47:23PM +0100, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 06/02/2019 18:54, Tom Li via Gnuk-users wrote:
> > It's clear on the datasheet that the Cortex M3-series of microcontroller
> > cores have an optional Memory Protection Unit (MPU), which is provided
> > by both STM32 and GD32's chips.
>
> Are you sure? The Cortex-M3 Programming Manual (PM0056) says:
> [...]
>
> I also looked at the datasheet for a high-density device (in between the
> 103CB and the 103RFT), but it seemed to be missing the MPU as well.
>
> I didn't check the GD32 part, but it would be quite a hefty upgrade if
> they chose to include the MPU silicon on their version of the 103CB!
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter.

Oops, Nevermind. I'm wrong.

I've just reviewed the GD32F103 datasheet, it only does mention the Memory
Protection Unit, but it only says the MPU can be provided by Cortex-M3 core
without additional notes. So it's not in fact supported.

I was reviewing a bunch of different datasheets in a Sunday afternoon in
2018, including F and L series from different vendor. The bulletpoint of
the MPU in GD32 datasheet probably confused me and I mixed them up.

Tom Li
Beijing GNU/Linux User Group.