ST-LINK/V2 ID 0000:0000

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Fri Mar 15 20:19:05 CET 2019

On 15/03/2019 18:24, Ardavast Dayleryan wrote:
> I was able to build a working version of gnuk.bin with:

Ah, that's good to hear!

> The only problem was that just setting the CROSS variable is not enough,
> because on line 17 in binary-edit.sh, arm-none-eabi-objdump is called
> directly.

The way I see it, the CROSS variable is currently not used to indicate
/which/ cross-compiler to use, but rather to indicate /whether/ to
cross-compile or compile natively. The latter is for debugging purely on
the host without additional hardware.[1]

Since put-vid-pid-ver.sh is not needed for the native version, it is
implied that it is for cross-compilation to ARM, so there was no need to
depend on some variable CROSS. In fact, the variable is not available in
the environment, it is only available in the Makefile currently.

This all could be fixed, but first it should be decided whether the GnuK
project /wants/ to support specifying different cross-compilers and the
burden of complexity that comes with it (testing functionality before
release and such).

One area that could be improved is the failure mode when the shell
script does not find a required executable. Failing loudly is always
better than failing inconspicuously, IMO.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] I can also imagine a scenario where a virtual machine has no access
to the private key material, but is able to use an on-disk key of the
host or a different VM through emulation of a GnuK.