Gnuk on bluepill: I am missing something

Marian Buschsieweke marian.buschsieweke at ovgu.de
Sat Jan 1 16:32:31 CET 2022

Hi,

are those multiple BluePills from different vendors, or all obtained from a single source?

Note that even the "genuine" BluePills feature an low-end STM32F103 that officially only has 64 KiB flash and no USB peripheral. But at least for me all genuine STM32F1 used in BluePulls like boards did have a USB peripheral and full 128 KiB flash, despite only reporting 64 KiB. And I personally doubt that ST would change production at this point. But I could imagine that ST does binning and sells MCUs with a broken USB peripheral as the cheaper variant that doesn't officially have a USB peripheral.

Please also keep in mind that quite a few fake MCUs have entered the marked, which might not be fully compatible to the original one. If I recall correctly there was an article about fake STM32F1xx clones on hackaday some time ago that compared a couple of fake MCUs and if I recall correctly it also gave tips on how to tell genuine ones apart from fake ones. So I recommend to rule out that you just tried fake/faulty MCUs first using the tips in that article and testing with known-to-work binaries. (E.g. I think black magic probe provides prebuild binaries of their releases - but I'm not sure about that.)

Also note that some old BluePills were populated with a wrong resistor value at the USB data lines. I personally never had issues as my PCs apparently are very forgiving about out of spec resistor values, but I heard not all machines are that forgiving. So maybe try it on a different PC as well.

Please post an update if you figured the issue out - I got curious :)

Kind regards,
Marian

Via smartphone.