Second passphrase feature request

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Oct 27 09:17:21 CEST 2023

gnupg.org at terminada.io writes:

> 1. It would remove the limitation of 3 key storage.  Since different
> second passphrase would generate different keys, effectively a single
> device can manage an infinite number of keys (limited only by unique
> second passphrases).

This is like the FIDO-approach: no storage requirement on the device
except for possibly crypto-related incremental counters.  It is quite
orthogonal to the current GNUK design, but I think GNUK could be
extended to support it: replace reading the encrypted key material with
reading a blob from the machine together with a second passphrase and
use some it together with a device-specific key to decrypt it before
use.  Reading the blob from the machine isn't critical: if storage is
available, it can use blob from GNUK storage instead.

The Tillitis Key -- https://tillitis.se/ -- follow this approach, and
has Ed25519 signing for SSH working.  It could be extended to support
OpenPGP too under the FIDO-model.

/Simon