[Announce] GnuPG Logo Contest
wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 19 15:01:05 CEST 2006
After 8 years the time has come to modernize the GnuPG logo and to
work on a new layout of the website.
We appreciate Thomas Löffelholz's Gnus-guarding-the-door logo which
has served us for a long time. However, GnuPG has moved forward and
is not anymore a plain OpenPGP application but features other
protocols as well (S/MIME and partly Secure Shell). Further, the
current logo is too detailed to be used as an icon or to be printed on
a t-shirt. Thus we want to have a new modern logo.
To get to such a logo we try something new: We ask you to donate to
the logo contest and then offer the collected funds to the winner of
Here are the rules for the contest:
* Submissions should be send by mail to logo-contest at gnupg dot org.
Sending just an URL is recommended. At least one PNG scaled to 300
pixel on one axis is required. Sending a design concept is
* The design should convey the message of freedom and privacy. It
must not exploit or offend anyone's sex, race or religion, be
obscene or propagate violence.
* The logo shall be available in a free format (bitmap or vector) and
eventually made available in source form, modifiable using Free
Software (xcf, fig, etc.). The submitter's name and snail mail
address is required for exchanging legal papers.
* The winning submitter must agree to assign the copyright to the FSF
and attach no other restrictions to the use of the logo. All
submitters must declare that they do not infringe the rights of
another party and that publishing their logos for the purpose of
this contest is acceptable.
* The contest runs until *October 31, 2006*. A jury will then select
the winning submission. The winner will receive 50% of the
collected funds. The three top rated submitters are eligible for a
gnupg dot org mail alias.
* All contributors to GnuPG who signed a copyright assignment with the
FSF, actually provided code or translations and do not participate
in the contest make up the jury to decide on the new logo. The file
AUTHORS in the GnuPG 1.4.5 tarball has a list of these folks.
Simple majority is used to decide.
Collecting and spending the donations:
* The donations are collected for the purpose of creating a logo and a
new website layout.
* The winner of the logo contest will receive 50% of the collected
funds. The leftover funds will be used for a follow-up contest to
redesign and re-implement the website.
* A list of sponsors will be published after the final logo has been
* In case that for unforeseeable reasons a winner could be determined
or we cannot spend the collected funds, they will be donated to the
Free Software Foundation Europe.
* The funds are collected through Paypal online payment. For legal
reasons and ease of setup they will be collected by g10 Code GmbH, a
company headed by GnuPG's principal author Werner Koch. Note, that
the tax office will likely require to transfer a 16% VAT, thus the
collected funds need to be reduced by this amount. g10 Code will do
a weekly report on the received funds as well as a final report
after selection of the winner.
To donate to this contest and for latest information please go to
Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts http://g10code.com
Join the Fellowship and protect your Freedom! http://www.fsfe.org
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 196 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : /pipermail/attachments/20060919/3e674d37/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the Gnupg-announce