[Announce] GnuPG Funding Campaign Launched

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 6 00:03:07 CEST 2017

Independent Encryption Software, GnuPG, Needs Financial Support

  Düsseldorf, Germany --- Tuesday, June 6, 2017.  The GnuPG Project
  today announced the launch of a funding campaign to further support
  and improve its leading mail and data encryption software, GnuPG.  The
  campaign aims to secure 15000 Euro per month in recurring donations
  from individual donors to finance the development of their free
  software.  Donations can be made at the newly reworked website:

    <https://gnupg.org/donate/>

  Activists, journalists, lawyers, and many others rely on GnuPG to
  protect their communication.  The software guards emails, files, and
  programs from government and criminal snooping and spying on Windows,
  Mac, and Linux.  And, more than two-thirds of the servers running the
  Internet rely on GnuPG to verify the integrity of system updates.

  Ongoing government spying revelations have shown how little of our
  information is really safe.  GnuPG is one of the few tools that can
  offer real protection, free of commercial interests.  Edward Snowden
  used it to encrypt his communications with journalists.  Many
  institutions use GnuPG because by using an open standard they can be
  sure that they will always be able to access their data.

  The 6 person development team is currently financed from a successful
  campaign in early 2015, regular donations from the Linux Foundation,
  Stripe, Facebook, and a few paid development projects.  To ensure
  long-term stability the new campaign focuses on recurring donations
  and not one-time donations.  Says lead developer Werner Koch: “We want
  to continue our work in the long term.  But, we want to do so in such
  a way that our first loyalty is unambiguously to the general public.
  This means making sure that a majority of our funding comes from
  individual donors, and not corporations.”

  To highlight GnuPG's role in protecting data, user stories from 26
  organizations including activist groups, news organizations, lawyers,
  and companies from all over the world have been collected.  Their
  testimonials are presented in daily changing videos on the campaign
  site.

About GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG)

  Since 1997, GnuPG has allowed individuals and companies to encrypt and
  sign data and communication using the well-established and highly
  interoperable OpenPGP standard.  It comes with state of the art
  cryptography and features a versatile key management system.  GnuPG,
  also known as GPG or sometimes incorrectly as PGP, can be used
  standalone, but has all features needed for easy integration with
  other software.  It is used as the core cryptography engine of a
  wealth of other applications: For example Thunderbird with Enigmail,
  Gpg4win, and GPGTools.  Most operating systems use GnuPG's signing
  ability to protect system updates against malicious attempts to
  introduce backdoors.  GnuPG is available free of charge, and comes
  with all source code to allow anyone to audit the software.
  <https://gnupg.org>

About g10 Code GmbH

  g10 Code GmbH is the privately owned legal entity behind the GnuPG
  Project.  They employ all developers and keep all profits for the
  development of GnuPG and related free software.
  <https://gnupg.org/imprint.html>

### Media contacts:

  Neal H. Walfield, Werner Koch
  Email: media at gnupg.org
  Phone: +49-2104-4938797 (during European business hours)
  Twitter: @gnupg