Encrypted MLs

lilo at dyn-max1-1.chicago.il.ameritech.net lilo@dyn-max1-1.chicago.il.ameritech.net
Tue Apr 28 16:01:21 CEST 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> We can use comment packets for this. The last OpenPGP draft dropped the
> comment packets :-((, this is really bad.  I changed my code to use the
> new comment packet number because PGP said "we never used the RFC1991
> specified comment packets, so we reuse this packet type for subkeys" and
> assigned a new number for comment packets which are now dropped -- This
> is very annoying.  I see the need for comment packets and will continue
> to support them. Ahhh, OpenPGP has nothing to do with open but with
> "documenting" PGP 5 data structures - this is the behaviour of a Redmond
> based company - I DON'T LIKE IT.

It's probably time to start thinking about an operating mode which is
clearly distinguished from OpenPGP, and is documented and available for
comment if, say, someone else wants to implement it.

It's all very well to play when someone brings out his toys, but when he
won't play fair, one should start thinking about how to give the end user a
choice of toys.

Rob Levin