GNUPG 0.3.2 encryption bug

bofh at coker.com.au bofh at coker.com.au
Sat Aug 22 17:24:26 CEST 1998

I create a file with "dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1k count=2000" (nice empty
test file).
I encrypt it using password "abcd" using the command "gpg -z0 -c test".

I then try and decrypt it using the command "gpg -d test.gpg > t" and get the
following output:
gpg (GNUPG) 0.3.2; Copyright (C) 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: Problem reading source (1 bytes remaining)
gpg: handle plaintext failed: File read error
gpg: packet(1) with unknown version 255
gpg: public key decryption failed: Unknown pubkey algorithm
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Here's the output of "ls -al" on the directory:
total 6233
drwxrwxr-x   2 rjc      staff        1024 Aug 23 01:53 .
drwx------  24 rjc      root         1024 Aug 23 01:49 ..
-rw-------   1 rjc      staff      212992 Aug 23 01:50 core
-rw-rw-r--   1 rjc      staff     2043904 Aug 23 01:50 t
-rw-rw-r--   1 rjc      staff     2048000 Aug 23 01:28 test
-rw-rw-r--   1 rjc      staff     2048083 Aug 23 01:29 test.gpg

This is a test case of a bug that caused me problems when trying to compress
some large bzip2 archives (I don't want compression as the files are
already compressed and it won't gain me anything).

Copies of all the files in that directory are available on demand (including
the core file).  The gpg program comes from version 0.3.2-1 Debian package.

Russell Coker

PS  I get hit by a slightly different bug when I try to use compression, but
it's harder for me to devise a test case for it.