Wassenaar

Rich Derr rhd at emptysky.com
Thu Dec 10 06:01:53 CET 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> The term Public Domain is used very broadly in the context of the
> Arrangement.  It's defined as follows (from the _old_ text,
> available from http://jya.com/):
>
>    "In the public domain" (GTN, GSN)
>
>      This means "technology" or "software" which has been made
>      available without restrictions upon its further dissemination.
>
>      N.B. Copyright restrictions do not remove "technology" or
>      "software" from being "in the public domain".

   Software distributed under the GPL has retrictions upon its further
dissemination.  Werner, do you still have copyright to 100% of the
code, or of the core code? I'm just curious, in the small chance it
might become necessary to change the licence to BSD -- which is made
available without restrictions upon its further dissemination.  (You
could put it under both licences if it became necessary, which should
meet the `public domain' requirement while still letting the end user
use it under the GPL if they prefer.)

   If it never becomes necessary then I can understand not changing
anything -- they are different licences with different purposes.  I'm
just wondering about the future.  (Assuming U.S. citizens will be
allowed to use crypto at all in the future.)

--
Rich Derr,
President,