John A. Martin jam at jamux.com
Wed Dec 16 12:26:34 CET 1998

    Rat> "WK" == Werner Koch <wk at isil.d.shuttle.de> writes:

    WK> Because I think a MUA should cope with these starnge things.
    WK> I think it is not required by RfC2440 - can someone please
    WK> look it up?

    Rat> RFC2440:
    Rat>    Though not required, it is generally a good idea to use
    Rat>    Quoted- Printable encoding in the first step (writing out
    Rat>    the data to be signed in MIME canonical format) if any of
    Rat>    the lines in the data begin with "From ", and encode the
    Rat>    "F".  This will avoid an MTA inserting a ">" in front of
    Rat>    the line, thus invalidating the signature!

I'm confused.  I do not see that text in my copy of rfc2440.

141371 Nov 10 17:28 rfc2440.txt
-------------- cut here ---->8 ---< head
Network Working Group                                         J. Callas
Request for Comments: 2440                           Network Associates
Category: Standards Track                                L. Donnerhacke
                                     IN-Root-CA Individual Network e.V.
                                                              H. Finney
                                                     Network Associates
                                                              R. Thayer
                                                        EIS Corporation
                                                          November 1998

                         OpenPGP Message Format

Perhaps we need to have gpg signatures on RFCs.  :-)

	jam