Using key made with pgp 2.x?

Erno Kuusela erno at paatos.lib.hel.fi
Thu Dec 17 12:28:05 CET 1998

Hello,

I have been using PGP 2.6.3ia, but it seems it does not grok
the more modern public keys (I am seeing a lot if "Unsupported packet
format - you need a newer version of PGP for this file" messages).
So I decided to try out GnuPG. I got version 0.4.5, and the IDEA and
RSA extensions. I have imported my secret and public key to GnuPG.

However, when I encrypt with gpg and try to decrypt with pgp,
I get this:

| (erno at paatos) ~ % pgp fstab.asc
| Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3ia - Public-key encryption for the masses.
| (c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
| International version - not for use in the USA. Does not use RSAREF.
| Current time: 1998/12/17 10:19 GMT
|
| File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
| Key for user ID: Erno Kuusela <erno.kuusela at netppl.fi>
| 2048-bit key, key ID A4E2DF35, created 1996/04/27
| Also known as: erno at lib.hel.fi
| Also known as: erno.kuusela at cs.helsinki.fi
| Also known as: Erno Kuusela <ernesti at netppl.fi>
|
| You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
| Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment....
| Error: Decrypted plaintext is corrupted.
| .
| For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
| For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.
| (erno at paatos) ~ % less fstab
| fstab: No such file or directory

Feature, stupid user error, or bug?

I also had some other problems with converting. I actually started
to write this mail about how gpg won't import my secret key,
then I discovered I have to import the public key first, and the
secret key second. I think i discovered a bug there:

| (erno at paatos) ~ % gpg --import < erno-sec.pgp
| gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
| gpg: /redhat/home/erno/.gnupg/secring.gpg: keyring created
| gpg: /redhat/home/erno/.gnupg/pubring.gpg: keyring created
| gpg: /redhat/home/erno/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trust-db created
| gpg:[stdin]: key A4E2DF35: secret key imported
| gpg: Total number processed: 1
| gpg:       secret keys read: 1
| gpg:   secret keys imported: 1
| (erno at paatos) ~ % gpg --import < erno-pub.pgp
| gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
| gpg: key A4E2DF35: secret key without public key - skipped
| gpg:[stdin]: key A4E2DF35: public key imported
| gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 16513) ...
| gpg: waiting for lock (hold by 16513) ...
|
| gpg: Interrupt caught ... exiting

It seems to leave a stale lock behind.

Well, after discovering that, I got to encrypt my test file with gpg.
But PGP wouldn't decrypt my test file, saying "Bad or missing CTB_CKE
byte.". Then i discovered I needed to use the rfc1991 option.

Maybe these should be added to a faq somewhere?

 - erno