undefined reference to fstat

Werner Koch wk at isil.d.shuttle.de
Tue Dec 29 14:32:20 CET 1998

Christopher Wiegand <cwiegand at dimensional.com> writes:

> If I take out those lines, it compiles, however, I don't know why it can't
> find fstat - but then, neither can I on my machine in /usr/include and
> /usr/local/include and /usr/src/linux/include....where should this file be?

man 2 fstat:

! NAME
!        stat, fstat, lstat - get file status
!
! SYNOPSIS
!        #include <sys/stat.h>
!        #include <unistd.h>
!
!        int stat(const char *file_name, struct stat *buf);
!        int fstat(int filedes, struct stat *buf);
!        int lstat(const char *file_name, struct stat *buf);

Your libc is broken ?  every program needs fstat which is indeed a
kernel function.