GNU Privacy Guard

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Fri Feb 20 16:08:08 CET 1998

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, BeeP wrote:

> The obfuscatorilly-named Lilo responded to my plea for marketing sense with:

Oh and `BeeP' is just so clear. Clear as mud. Next you'll be saying my
name is obscure because you have neither the time nor paitence to
determine its meaning.

Also let's be clear that when you say "marketing sense" you mean "US based
parochial marketing views".

> PGP spread because it was free, it was needed, it was well named, and well
> promoted (Mondo 2000 started the publicity, mainstream publicity
> followed).

Look at that, accoridng to you the name of PGP was the third most
important thing in the products success. g10 (or whatever it is eventually
called) definately has the first two attributes.

> >Maybe the conventional idea of what will "sell" is a little biased toward
> >repetitiveness and extremes of safety.
>
> Or perhaps it's based on the careful research of direct marketeers. As in
> fifty years of research - place an ad, calculate the response - again, and
> again, and again. Reading about this research is how I got started naming
> product so their names "position" the product in the mind of the consumer.
> In other words IT SHOULD CONTAIN USEFUL DATA ABOUT THE PRODUCT.

And you argue that `Good', `Great' contains more "useful data" than say
`GNU'.

> Yes.... that was the point of my last letter. Great Privacy Guard is about
> 10,000 times better than Gnu Privacy Guard. Unless the product is for
> guarding the privacy of a zoo's gnus.

Only in the estimation of someone who hasn't taken the time to find out
what GNU means.

Anand.