The name G10

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Jan 27 13:30:17 CET 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Good point, however my vote goes to GPG (hopefully this is also
>     different enough).
>
> The difference between GPG and PGP is very slight--as slight as could
> be.  I think we should not use the name GPG.

Same here. Using the name GPG would likely bring a trademark suit. However
using the name 'GNU Privacy Guard' is unlikely to. If you need/want an
acronym you can always use 'GNUPG'. People may have a tendancy to refer to
it as 'GPG' but since that isn't its name (or abbreviation) you aren't
infringing on any trademarks.

This is similiar to a product called 'CocaCola' whose official shortening
is 'Coke' being called 'cola'.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are