trust

Caskey L. Dickson caskey at technocage.com
Tue Jul 21 23:04:10 CEST 1998

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Raj Laud wrote:

> Due to the (understandable) lack of documentation for GPG right now, I'm not
> sure how trust is handled for keys. Could someone please explain to me how
> this works and how to edit or even view the trust values for certain keys?
> Sorry about my ignorance but I'm new to gpg.

Raj,

While I don't know how the trust model works, I have managed to get a pair
of gpg keys working that can communicate with each other.  It took some
doing the first time so I decided to write the steps out.  Of special
interest was that the first time it didn't work right, but I experimented
and deleted the trust database and that made things work.

I'm part way through a short document that I created to help organize my
thoughts as I worked with gpg.  Basically, I'm using qmail aliases to
forward messages between two machines while passing them through gpg to
encrypt/decrypt them before and after.  Basically a safer solution than
raw email forwarding if you have two trusted networks that you want email
forwarded between.

The short document currently contains the blow-by-blow process I went
through creating two key rings, and giving one to the other so that it
could automatically encrypt messages to it.  If anyone is interested it is
at http://www.technocage.com/~caskey/gpg.html The page mentions the
package I'm working on but doesn't contain any of the details about it so
ignore those parts.

Hope this helps some,

C=)

P.S.  The document isn't done being formatted and I was experimenting with
color to make it easier to locate the parts I typed in so try not to
notice the look.

P.P.S.  I just copied the document over from our intranet and I don't have
a regular public home page so you won't see any pointers there, you have
to go directly to gpg.html.

          "Wish not to seem, but to be, the best." -- Aeschylus
Caskey <caskey*technocage.com>       ///                pager.818.698.2306
TechnoCage Inc.                     ///|             PGP Key ID:0x7BBD08DC
     Maybe everyone's driving a minivan with ego in the front seat,
     inadequacy fighting in the back seat and nobody really paying
                     attention to the road. -- Bradt